The financially struggling Crystal Cathedral will be getting a new name and a new location, the church’s pastor announced over the weekend.
The ministry will now be called Hope Center of Christ, Senior Pastor Sheila Schuller Coleman said in a brief video posted on the church’s website Saturday. The megachurch’s new location will be revealed in the weeks ahead.
The news comes amid more upheaval among the church’s leadership.
On Saturday, founder Dr. Robert H. Schuller and his wife, Arvella, announced they were stepping down from the church board.
The couple’s daughter, Carol Schuller Milner, explained that her parents have been embroiled in a legal conflict with the board over copyright infringement and back payment for services.
The Schullers had made numerous offers to settle the claims, but the board informed the couple Tuesday that they “had no interest in continuing their dialogue.”
“We cannot continue to serve on the board in what has become an adversarial and negative atmosphere, especially since it now seems that it will not be ending anytime soon,” Arvella Schuller said Saturday in response to the board’s decision.
“We were optimistic that a solution was close at hand which would be mutually beneficial to the Schullers and the ministry,” Arvella said.
Also, last week the cathedral fired Schuller’s daughter, Gretcher Penner, producer of the Hour of Power, and her husband Jim Penner, the show’s executive producer. Jim Coleman, husband of Sheila Schuller Coleman, Schuller’s other son-in-law, also lost his job as director of creative services.
Church officials explained the move was part of an effort to revamp the television program, which reached millions of American viewers on a weekly basis.
The shake ups come as little surprise to those familiar with the ministry’s drawn-out financial and legal struggles.
Two years after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, the main campus in Garden Grove, Calif., is now owned by Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange County.
“No matter what, God is still God,” Robert H. Schuller said. “No matter what, God is still a good God. God loves you and so do I.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details