The bidding is over. A bankruptcy court will soon give the title deed of the megachurch campus Robert H. Schuller built to Chapman University—barring a financial miracle.
Although Crystal Cathedral’s board chose the university as its preferred buyer in a deal that would bring in $50 million to pay off creditors and allow the church to lease the Garden Grove, Calif., property, the ministry is still believing God for a multimillion-dollar breakthrough.
“Nothing is final until Nov. 14!” said Dr. Sheila Schuller Coleman, senior pastor of the Crystal Cathedral congregation. “We continue to pray, believe and stand behind our 'Jeremiah 29:11 plan,' which we submitted to the court—'For I know the plans that I think toward you, says the Lord, plans of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope'—even though our board has had to reluctantly vote to accept a plan due to the deadlines required by the court.”
Dante Gebel, pastor of Crystal Cathedral Hispanic Church, agrees with Coleman. He believes God is in control and is orchestrating everything. And he refuses to think the situation has escaped from God’s hands.
“The Hispanic church of the Crystal Cathedral is the fastest-growing Spanish-speaking [church] in the United States,” Gebel said. “If God brought His presence and hundreds of souls have reached salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ here, that means that the mission is being fulfilled. And as far as everything else is concerned, God has already prepared a solution, you can be sure of that. I have known God for 43 years and He has never failed.”
Crystal Cathedral members are also standing in faith. Kent Smirl, congregation member for more than 12 years who recently returned from a mission trip to an Ensenada house build with the church, believes the Lord’s will is directing them.
Smirl said: “We have faith in His decision to guide this ministry and that a miracle will come about that will affirm the great work that Dr. Schuller has begun here so it can continue to a new generation.”
Bankruptcy Judge Robert Kwan set the next hearing for Nov. 14. At that time, Crystal Cathedral must either pay its debtors, confirm a buyer or continue through bankruptcy proceedings.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details