Dr. Ben Carson has become a favorite of many Christian voters because of his faith-based proposals, evident belief in God's miracles, and winning personality. That—plus a home run answer on the question of racism at the Fox News debate that went viral—catapulted Carson near the front of the pack in Iowa and made him the closest thing to a real competitor Donald Trump has seen.
Now, seeing himself surging in the polls, Dr. Carson has decided to take off the gloves by questioning Donald Trump's faith—and in the process, he actually bragged about his own humility.
At a campaign rally in Anaheim, California, on Wednesday a female reporter asked Carson about his similarities with Trump, a fellow political outsider. "What do you think the main characteristics are that differentiate you two?" she asked.
"Well, probably the biggest thing is that I realize where my successes comes from, and I don't in any way deny my faith in God," Carson responded. "And I think probably that is a big differentiater."
Somewhat taken aback, a male reporter asked if he believed Trump was insincere in his faith.
"I haven't heard it. I haven't seen it," Carson said.
"You know, one of my favorite Bible verses [is] Proverbs 22:4. It says, 'By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honor, and life.' And that's a very big part of who I am—humility and the fear of the Lord. I don't get that impression with him. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't get that impression."
The exchange reminds me of an old joke: "My church gave me a humble award, but they took it back, because I accepted it."
Trump responded on Twitter last night (although for unexplained reasons, the message says it was tweeted on "Sept. 10"):
Wow, I am ahead of the field with Evangelicals (am so proud of this) and virtually every other group, and Ben Carson just took a swipe at me— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Sept. 10, 2015
So, what do you think? Is Carson hypocritical in bragging about his humility? Is Trump as devout as he lets on?
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details