Last week we reported that U.S. District Court Judge Lee Yeakel of the Western District of Texas had issued a temporary restraining order blocking Texas' Dismemberment Abortion Ban—part of Senate Bill 8—while the full lawsuit brought by the abortion industry against the State of Texas moves forward. The TRO had been scheduled to expire in 14 days—Friday.
On Thursday, Judge Yeakel "grant[ed] a request from the attorney general's office and abortion clinics suing the state, and extended by some three weeks his order blocking the law, to Nov. 22," the San Antonio Express reported. He also set a Nov. 2 trial date for the lawsuit brought by the abortion industry against the State of Texas.
Judge Yeakel's initial order was issued Aug. 31, a day before the law was set to take effect.
In addition to banning dismemberment abortions, Senate Bill 8 also prohibits partial-birth abortion and regulates the disposition of the remains of abortion victims.
Last week Yeakel wrote, "The act leaves that woman and her physician with abortion procedures that are more complex, risky, expensive, difficult for many women to arrange and often involve multi-day visits to physicians and overnight hospital stays."
The ruling was hailed by Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, as "the latest victory upholding a woman's right to safe and legal abortion."
Marc Rylander, a spokesman for Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, countered, "Dismemberment abortions are gruesome and inhumane, which makes it troubling that a district court would block Texas' lawful authority to protect the life of unborn children from such a barbaric practice."
The ban on dismemberment abortion is very specific. It forbids the use of an abortion "technique" that uses sharp metal clamps and scissors to crush, tear and pulverize living unborn human beings, to rip heads and legs off of tiny torsos until the defenseless child bleeds to death. Texas joined seven other states—Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas and Louisiana—in barring dismemberment abortion.
For the original article, visit nationalrighttolifenews.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer