In many states, counties and cities across the country, Ten Commandments monuments have been erected to commemorate the Judeo-Christian roots of natural and common law in America.
And as the battle over the imagined separation of Church and State is waged by secularists, Christians have found those monuments increasingly under attack. One such example is the Ten Commandments Monument that once stood on the grounds of the State Capitol in Oklahoma City.
The Oklahoma Capitol Preservation Commission voted 7-1 last September to remove the monument after the The American Civil Liberties Union of Oklahoma told the court that the monument was unconstitutional. It argued that because the Oklahoma Constitution states that public property cannot be used to promote a "church denomination or system of religion," the monument must be removed.
It was removed in October. But that wasn't the end of the fight. The monument's removal angered many Oklahomans, particularly Republican lawmakers who vowed to return the monument to state property.
The Oklahoma House of Representatives voted 65-7 late Thursday for a resolution calling for a statewide vote on whether to remove a constitutional prohibition on the use of state funds or property to support a religion. The bill was sponsored by state Rep. John Paul Jordan (R-Yukon), an attorney.
"Since the Oklahoma Supreme Court's decision in June regarding the Ten Commandments monument, my constituents wanted to know what could be done," he said. "I knew it would be a difficult proposition to undo the ruling, so we looked at giving voters the opportunity to remove the basis for the ruling."
Voters in Oklahoma will now decide the fate of the monument themselves by voting on a constitutional amendment in the November election. ACLU Oklahoma's Executive Director Ryan Kiesel accused GOP lawmakers of using the monument as a political gimmick, saying his organization would challenge the monument again if it re-installed.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details