Ultrasounds save lives. The evidence is undeniable. And now, Idaho is on the verge of becoming the 25th state to add the life-saving procedure in an effort to prevent abortions.
The Idaho Senate approved House Bill 516 on a party-line vote Thursday, sending the bill to Gov. Butch Otter for his signature. The legislation does not require an ultrasound before an abortion is performed, but rather requires women considering abortions are provided a list of providers who will perform an ultrasound for free.
Bill sponsor Sen. Sheryl Nuxoll (R-Cottonwood) argued the legislation "does not limit choice. It just enhances choice. Ultrasounds are truly a window to the womb."
The Idaho House of Representatives also adopted the legislation largely along party lines. Republicans control the House with a 56-14 majority and the Senate by a 28-7 majority. Democrats argued the bill limits "choice" for women, and that it violated "separation of Church and State."
Ultrasounds prior to abortions are considered a sound medical practice because they verify the length of pregnancy, and can exclude the possibility of rare, but potentially life-threatening, health situations for the women, such as ectopic or tubal pregnancies. But unless it is required by law, most abortion providers do not allow the woman to see the ultrasound.
"They are never allowed to look at the ultrasound because we knew that if they so much as heard the heart beat, they wouldn't want to have an abortion," Dr. Joseph Randall, who previously performed abortions, once said.
Likewise, the language used by abortion providers is oftentimes purposely evasive. Rather than use the word "baby," they use phrases like "contents of the uterus" and "products of conception." When women who have abortions later become pregnant and choose not to end their unborn child's life, they are often confronted with the truth—and consequences—of their previous decisions when they see their first ultrasound.
Otter, a Catholic, has declared his pro-life views previously. When he served in Congress, he voted to ban federal funding of abortions and to ban partial-birth abortions. He also supports legislation that would require parental consent for minor girls seeking abortions.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details