It's no secret what Southern Baptist Convention Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission leader Russell Moore thinks about Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting Donald Trump.
But just in case you weren't sure, he decided to tell CBN News' David Brody over the weekend. Moore says Trump—who claims to be a Christian—is a "lost person" who needs to come to Jesus.
"My primary prayer for Donald Trump is that he would first of all repent of sin and come to faith in Jesus Christ," he said. "That's my prayer for any lost person."
Then, he added, Trump would "be somebody who would act in terms of principles of justice." That would result in a "remarkable change" in terms of the way leads those around him, as well as in the limited sense that a president in the American constitutional system would be seen as a ruler, biblically speaking.
Moore has previously attacked the businessman for his "boorish behavior" and numerous character flaws. During another interview with CBS's "Face the Nation" program, he called the Trump campaign "reality television moral sewage." He's also criticized fellow Christians who have supported the candidate.
His latest comments appeared to be a swipe at former anti-Trump allies, such as U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who have now embraced Trump's campaign. Barring the businessman's "conversion," Moore remains a staunch member of the new #NeverTrumpOrHillary band of conservatives.
"The same thing would be true in terms of Hillary Clinton," he told Brody. "This is someone who has a different set of problems and issues."
Regardless of what happens in November, Moore said, his "primary focus" is not on November, but rather on January.
"My primary focus is 2017 and preparing the church to be a church which is going to have to be a sign of contradiction regardless of whether Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump is in The White House," he concluded.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details