Ireland overwhelmingly voted to repeal abortion restrictions last week, breaking the heart of international Christian leaders like Franklin Graham. The Eighth Amendment, which was added to the constitution following a referendum in 1983, banned abortion in Ireland unless there was a "real and substantial risk" to the mother's life.
"They're calling it a landslide—I call it a national tragedy," Graham posted to Facebook.
Reuters reports over 3,000 women would travel to Britain each year for terminations, and "Yes" campaigners argued that with others now ordering pills illegally online, abortion was already a reality in Ireland.
Lawmakers who campaigned for a "No" vote said they would not seek to block the government's plans to allow abortions with no restriction up to 12 weeks into a pregnancy.
"What Irish voters did yesterday is a tragedy of historic proportions," the Save The 8th group said. "However, a wrong does not become a right simply because a majority support it."
Other pro-life groups condemned the voting outcome, as well.
"The loss of the 8th Amendment's covering of protection for mothers and infants is a tragedy, and the people of Ireland will pay the price in the physical trauma, lives lost and personal heartache that Americans have experienced for over 45 years since the advent of abortion on demand. But to the extent its repeal inaugurates a new era of fighting for women and infants in the Irish legislature, and showing care and compassion for women in the pregnancy resource centers that will open up around the country, this will herald the beginning of a true pro-life movement in Ireland. Americans United for Life welcomes this expanded opportunity to work with our Irish friends and family members toward a time when, once again, every human being is welcomed in life and protected in law," says Catherine Glenn Foster, President and CEO of Americans United for Life
Ireland has fallen – and the battle is just beginning https://t.co/VFcRziHabl— LifeSiteNews.com (@LifeSite) May 29, 2018
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details