Liberty Counsel sent a demand letter on Friday, Feb. 8 to the Boone County School District to provide equal access for use of school facilities, consistent with the district facilities use policy, for Child Evangelism Fellowship's after-school Good News Clubs for children K-5.
The district has altered evidence that proves it was illegally discriminating against the Good News Club while allowing other nonprofit organizations like Girls on the Run of Cincinnati (GOTR) to use facilities space. Now, administrators appear poised to cancel all 2018 Boone County Schools GOTR clubs, a local nonprofit teaching character to girls through its running program, rather than simply extend equal treatment to the Good News Club.
On Jan. 18, 2018, Liberty Counsel requested that the district respond to Child Evangelism Fellowship's repeated inquiries seeking use of a room for Good News Club meetings after school, at Stephens Elementary and at Goodridge Elementary. Administrators at both schools first rejected, and then ignored, the requests dating back to 2015. The discrimination against CEF continued in 2016 and 2017, all while the district permitted GOTR to meet. Liberty Counsel provided hyperlinks to websites at both schools and additional evidence showing that GOTR is legally no different than the Good News Club.
In response, school administrators deleted an entire webpage description of GOTR at Stephens, and changed the name of "Girls on the Run" to "Running Club" at Goodridge, after which the district's attorneys responded to Liberty Counsel, claiming that "neither running club at Stephens or Goodridge Elementary has any affiliation with the nonprofit organization, Girls on the Run." A simple search of the district's website reveals over 420 hits for the nonprofit "Girls on the Run," many showing its official logo. GOTR even listed Stephens Elementary on its own website as an official club location, as well as numerous other district schools. The Goodridge GOTR permission slip is the nonprofit's standard permission slip, and shows contact info for GOTR Cincinnati.
"CEF and its sponsored Good News Clubs are entitled to equal treatment by Boone County Schools," said Mat Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel. "It is amazing that schools would destroy evidence and consider canceling Girls on the Run rather than comply with the First Amendment principle of equal treatment for the Good News Clubs. We will hold Boone County School District accountable for overt viewpoint discrimination if equal treatment is not provided."
For the original article, visit lc.org.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details