Whenever you hear a liberal talking about cultural diversity and sensitivity, it normally means something insensitive is about to happen to Christians.
The latest case in point: Bloomington, Indiana—the home of Indiana University and a nesting place for a gaggle of intolerant liberals.
Mayor John Hamilton recently announced the city is renaming two paid holidays for city workers in an effort to respect "differing cultures."
Columbus Day will henceforth be known as "Fall Holiday" and Good Friday will be known as "Spring Holiday."
Mayor John Hamilton told Fox 59 the name change will "better reflect cultural sensitivity in the workplace."
According to our Fox television affiliate, some folks around town got upset when City Hall posted a closing sign referencing specific holidays.
"As a mayor, we are in charge of government. We do not set religious policies, we are not supposed to be part of religion and we are just trying to make sure that our government is open to all people and inclusive," the mayor told the television station.
And apparently the only way to achieve cultural diversity and sensitivity is by disrespecting Italians and Christians.
"It was not necessary and just stands to divide rather than unite when it comes to Good Friday," the Herald Times wrote in a staff editorial.
The newspaper said a case could be made for changing Columbus Day.
"To some in our country the idea of celebrating him is akin to celebrating a marauding invader who sought to destroy a culture," they wrote.
But Good Friday?
"It's a day important to the faith of many in this country," they wrote. "The idea of acting as if city leaders don't acknowledge its existence and would rather stick a 'Spring Holiday' name on it is insensitive to those for whom it means a lot. It's an unnecessary poke in the eye to many Christians."
Mayor Hamilton may not be aware, but Christians commemorate the crucifixion of Jesus Christ on Good Friday. It's about remembering that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son.
Good Friday is a holy day, not a day to frolic around a maypole in a field of pansies.
And to be honest, I've grown weary of boorish bureaucrats trying to whitewash our faith from the public marketplace all in the name of tolerance and diversity.
They never touch the Muslim holidays, do they? When was the last time you saw a liberal lawmaker launch a crusade to rename Ramadan?
You'd have a better chance of spotting Peter Cottontail hopping down the bunny trail.
Todd Starnes is host of "Fox News & Commentary," heard on hundreds of radio stations. Sign up for his American Dispatch newsletter, be sure to join his Facebook page and follow him on Twitter. His latest book is The Deplorables' Guide to Making America Great Again.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details