The prophetic community has received a great deal of criticism in the past year—from both inside and outside the church. Dr. Joseph Mattera says although some of that is unwarranted, he also believes the church has a responsibility to monitor the prophetic.
"With the prophetic as anything else, it's so powerful it could either be a great blessing or a curse," he tells Dr. Steve Greene on a recent episode of the Greenelines podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. "And if you went to the Indianapolis 500 race, you would not want to sit close to the cars that are going up to 120 miles an hour unless there were sufficient guardrails. And that's what we need with the prophetic."
Earlier this year, Mattera and Dr. Michael Brown put together a Prophetic Standards Statement, available at propheticstandards.com, which has now been signed by almost 900 faith leaders, including denominational leaders, theologians, pastors, prophets, apostles and others. Mattera describes the statement as "basically protocols—guidelines and guardrails so the prophetic community can flourish, so the gift of prophecy can flourish. It by no means tries to quench the Spirit."
Although the statement did not specifically address politics, Mattera says he does so in his new book, The Purpose, Power and Process of Prophetic Ministry. "The prophets didn't have 20/20 vision, of course, in the year 2020," he says. "So there are several reasons; I don't claim to be the expert on all of them. But one is, the Bible says, 'We prophesy in part; we know in part,' meaning, 'We prophesied according to what we know, or our paradigm'—and some of it might have been motivated more by the political as their desires for a certain person to be president, and other emotions could override and make them think God was speaking.
"It could also be groupthink," Mattera says. "They hear one prominent prophet say it, then they copy it."
For much more from Joseph Mattera about balance in the prophetic realm as well as his new book, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines at this link, and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform for more inspiring stories like this one. Find Mattera's new book wherever fine books are sold, and click here to purchase his popular favorite, The Jesus Principles, at a 50% discount.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details