"He has it all."
That's what we might think, even in the Christian world, if we took a quick glance at Dr. Michael Stevens' bio. He's a pastor, college professor, author and podcast host as well as a husband and father.
But there was a time when, he says, all his so-called success came crashing in on him. Of his longtime pastorate (he's the founding and senior pastor of the City Church in Huntersville, North Carolina), he says, "For the first 20-something-odd years, all the motives might have been the wrong motives. In other words, we grew. We were aggressive, progressive; we bought facilities and acreages and did everything you would want those late 1980s, early '90s megachurches had to do.
"But unfortunately, I put the church before my family, and I paid a very dear price for that," Stevens adds. "I had to take some time off about five years ago and literally hit the sabbatical button, hit the restoration button, go-get-some-counseling button and say, 'You know what, when all this is said and done, it won't be about the size of the church, or the acreage, all of the TV ads and careers and magazines and all of that wonderful stuff. What's going to matter is my walk with the Lord, and then my walk with my wife, and then the respect with my three kids.'"
Steven says today, he and his wife believe "Someone has to come out of the pit and tell people that life can be sweet again. ... Someone has to say, 'You know what? You can build on the ashes of yesterday's ruins and let God use you in such a profound way.'"
To hear more from Dr. Michael Stevens about how God can restore what the enemy has stolen and how you can rise from destruction to a life of blessing and restoration, listen to the entire episode of Greenelines here and subscribe to the Greenelines podcast on your favorite podcast platform.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details