The U.S. economy is showing signs of slow improvement. Stocks have been pushing higher, with the Dow Jones industrial average holding above 13,000.
Economists say it’s a direct reflection of American confidence in the economy.
The reason for that confidence? Many of the biggest banks in the United States passed the most recent Federal Reserve stress test.
Also, the Federal Reserve predicts that the U.S. will see moderate economic growth and declining unemployment.
“Jobs are the number one catalyst for good feelings in America,” Jeff Mackey with Yahoo! Finance said.
“If everyone has a job, they tend to go out and spend more money,” he explained. “Basically it’s a self-fulfilling prophesy. The momentum’s starting to build.”
Retail sales posted their largest gain in five months in February—and as Americans start spending, employers could increase their hiring.
“Consumer spending is absolutely everything,” Mackey said. “It’s 70 percent of GDP, which means if the consumer is not spending, the American economy is not improving.”
But there are still factors that threaten the recovery. Gas prices continue to rise as tensions in the Middle East increase the cost of fuel, and those high fuel costs are affecting the cost of flying as well.
“I think consumers are going to see fares that they haven’t seen in years. I think consumers have to re-think what a low airfare is,” George Hobica with Airfarewatchdog.com said.
The housing market is another concern. New reports show foreclosures shot up last month. RealityTrac projects foreclosures will rise 25 percent this year to 1 million homes.
While stocks are up, gold is down again. Some analysts believe gold will keep dropping for a while.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details