Major upsets have become commonplace in the NCAA Men's basketball tournament over the past few years, but Friday's 75-72 South Regional overtime victory for Oral Roberts University over Ohio State shocked many in the college basketball world—and for many reasons.
ORU, a private charismatic university in Tulsa, Oklahoma, became only the ninth No. 15 seed ever to defeat at No. 2 seed in the post-season tourney. No. 15 seeds, as of this game, are 9-132 overall in the NCAA Tournament.
Moreover, it was the Golden Eagles' first victory in the NCAA tournament since 1974. That season, ORU made to the Elite Eight before losing to Kansas, 93-90.
The nation's leading scorer coming into the tournament, Max Abmas, scored 29 points to spark ORU to the major upset over a Big 10 Conference program that had gotten used to advancing deep in the NCAAs nearly every year. Kevin Obanor led ORU with 30 points.
The Golden Eagles advanced to the round of 32 where it will play No. 7 seed Florida on Sunday.
The last time a No. 15 seed defeated a No. 2 seed in the tournament was 2016, when Middle Tennessee State shocked Michigan State.
ORU, considered a "mid-major" school by NCAA standards, last made the NCAA Tournament in 2008, when, as a No. 13 seed, the Eagles lost to Pittsburgh in the first round.
The Associated Press reported that the Summit League champions, "bowed their heads in a prayer circle after their victory over the Big 10 Conference powerhouse."
"I know growing up, all my life, I was always like the underdog," Obanor told the Associated Press. "The school is not a big school. Just to prove people wrong, it's a blessing just to have people that are really committed and believe that we're the better team. "When they rank them, it was only just a number at the end of the day. We put our shoes on just as the other team puts their shoes on. We just had the mindset of, 'Show us that you deserve to be No. 2,' and we came out with a lot of confidence."
A tweet on ORU basketball's twitter account said it all for ORU Friday:
"What was it Oral Roberts used to say? Oh right ... EXPECT A MIRACLE.
According to NCAA.com, 4.25% of BCG users correctly picked Oral Roberts to beat Ohio State. In fact, almost as many players had Ohio State winning the title (3.28%) than the Eagles winning this game.
Oral Roberts took a six-point lead over the second-seeded Buckeyes with two minutes remaining. Ohio State fought back, but it wasn't enough.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details