Most yoga practitioners believe in seven invisible energy centers in the body called chakras.
Adherents believe these chakras begin at the base of the spine and are positioned at various points up to the crown chakra at the top of the head.
The sixth chakra (or energy center) is in the middle of the forehead and is named "the third eye." In Hinduism, the "third eye" is called "Ajna" or "Agya."
The two eyes in our physical bodies enable human beings to see into the physical world. Those who believe in chakras teach that the third eye enables enlightened human beings to see into the spiritual world. An activated third eye is the sign of an awakened person.
Many New Agers and yoga advocates insist that Jesus taught His disciples about "the third eye" when He said:
"The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!" (Matt. 6:22-23, KJV).
To properly interpret Jesus' words ("If therefore thine eye be single,") they must be taken in context (seven verses: Matt. 6:19-25). This passage starts with the statement: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth" (Matt. 6:19a, NKJV). It ends with the statement: "You cannot serve God and mammon" (meaning material riches) (Matt. 5:24, see verse 25 also).
Clearly, Jesus was not talking about awakening some imagined, internal psychic center in the forehead; He was urging His disciples to focus primarily on spiritual things instead of material things.
So, to answer my title question: No, Jesus did not believe in the "third eye"; neither did He teach that concept to His followers.
For more of my teaching on this topic, click here to listen to this episode of the Revealing the True Light podcast.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details