Pastor Dennis Funderburg says that a spirit of poverty manifests itself when we accept limitations. It doesn't necessarily have to do with money, he says.
"A poverty spirit keeps you trapped in a lower form of being," Funderburg says. "Basically, a poverty spirit's job is to keep you in the lower levels of who you're called to be. It keeps you from living an ascended lifestyle. Poverty isn't about economical lack. It's about the accepting of lack.
"So there can be a poverty of imagination. There can be a poverty of courage. There can be a poverty of personal perception, how you view yourself, or a poverty of the will. ... Whenever we begin to put limitations, whenever we start accepting limitations, we put ourselves in a box or we put God in a box."
One key to breaking off a spirit of poverty is by becoming more generous, Funderburg says on the Jesus Is Still Jesus podcast on the Charisma Podcast Network. However, we have to be careful that what we're asking from God is for the purpose of giving Him glory. We have to ensure that we're not becoming materialistic or desiring praise from people, Funderburg says.
"To me, this isn't a name it, claim it kind of faith," Funderburg says. "This is through my intimacy with God, through my love with Jesus, my relationship with Him. I accept His promises ... allowing my character, my humility, my discipline and my patience to be subjected to God's will.
"So many times, we ask for things we want from God, but it's not necessarily going to help us for a godly life. And that's why if you name and claim it for a Lamborghini, I'm not saying the Lamborghini is bad—but if that's all you're after, if that's the intent of your heart, is it actually going to help you live a godly life? When we become so focused on wanting to please Jesus and wanting to fulfill our calling, and we take the actual steps of faith to do it, that is where we're going to find provision; that is where poverty will not ever, ever be able to touch."
To listen to the entire episode titled "Victory From the Spirit of Poverty," click here.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details