There is hope for the broken person who is far from God.
He tells us to be in the world but not of it, so how are we as Christians supposed to interact with our friends of differing beliefs?
One reader asked Billy Graham: "My best friend and I enjoy each other's company, but I'm a Christian and he says he's an atheist. I've tried to argue with him, but he just laughs and says I ought to grow up and forget about God. How can I win him over?"
Graham's wise answer reminds us of the sovereignty of God:
You can point him in the right direction—but to be honest, you can't win him over by yourself (as you've discovered). He's convinced that he is right, and even if he has secret doubts, his pride probably gets in the way.
But God can do what we can't do, and He can conquer even the most stubborn heart. And that's why the most important thing you can do for your friend is to pray for him, asking God to convict him of his sin and his pride and convince him of his need for Christ. Pray also that your life will be a witness to him—a witness to Christ's peace and joy. People may argue with what we say, but they can't argue with the reality of a life that's been transformed by Christ.
In addition, encourage him to face honestly the consequences of his atheism (which many atheists, I've discovered, never do). If God doesn't exist (as he claims), then he has no hope of life after death. Nor does he have anyone to turn to when he needs guidance, or when life turns against him. He is like those of whom the Bible speaks, "without hope and without God in the world" (Eph. 2:12).
Most of all, urge him to examine Jesus Christ honestly and openly, as He is found in the Gospels of the New Testament. When he does, he'll discover not only that God exists, but God loves him and wants to come into his life.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details