On Sept. 20, Rihanna tweeted to some 32 million followers about a female performer from an illegal sex show she attended in Phuket, Thailand. Thai officials say they used Rihanna's tweets to help lead them to the arrest of the club's owner.
Christian Film & Television Commission founder Ted Baehr says many times the female performers are abused and that Rihanna's tweet should cause outrage.
"Most times these female performers are held in captivity against their will, and most are sold into slavery at young ages and don’t live past the age of 20 because of working conditions and highly-addictive drugs used to keep them in slavery," he says.
This was the third time Rihanna's tweets have resulted in an arrest by Thai police in just three weeks. Two other men were arrested last month after the singer posted a photo of herself and a slow loris, which is a protected primate, on Instagram and Twitter.
According to the FBI, child pornography is the fastest-growing segment of America’s $13 billion porn industry, generating more revenue than the NFL, according to Cedars Cultural and Education Foundation, an entity committed to protecting women and children from trafficking and abduction.
“The numbers show supply and demand. When there is a disregard for the value of human life as a cultural worldview, we will see a rise in crime as the result,” explains Baehr.
While many celebrities—including Angelina Jolie, Meryl Streep and Salma Hayek—are advocates of protecting, empowering and educating women around the world, Baehr says it is discouraging that Rihanna is supporting the international sex trade.
The only outrage about Rihanna’s recent behavior is from animal activists around the world about the misuse of exotic animals.
“It’s not a victimless crime,” Baehr soberly states. “And in this case, Rihanna is the perpetrator.”
Movieguide has found from years of research and analysis in mass media that celebrities have a direct effect on the culture and behavior of American youth.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details