Honduras opened its embassy in Jerusalem Thursday, June 24, becoming the fourth country to follow the U.S. move under former President Donald Trump to move its embassy from Tel Aviv. New Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez were both present for the historic event.
"Mr. President, you are a true friend of Israel," Bennett told Hernandez ahead of the inauguration ceremony at the Technological Park in the Malha neighborhood of Jerusalem, per The Times of Israel. "The Jewish people have a long memory, and you will be recorded in the pages of history as having done a brave and justified deed for the State of Israel."
"We hope to continue building the solid relationship between our two countries," Hernandez tweeted after the event, referring to Jerusalem as "the eternal capital of Israel."
Bennett in turn thanked Hernandez for his strong international support of Israel.
"Under your leadership, Honduras consistently stands by Israel in international institutions when it is not always popular, and sometimes it also involves paying a price," the prime minister told Hernández. "This is a testimony to our friendship—your willingness to take action ... I want to thank you and the public in Honduras for this support."
Earlier Thursday, Honduras and Israel signed a series of cooperation agreements on agriculture, health, education and innovation.
Former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was in office when Honduras made the formal agreement to move its embassy, welcomed the move, posting on Facebook, "A holiday day for Israel!"
Netanyahu did not attend the dedication ceremony but did meet with Hernandez later in the day, his office reported.
The meeting between the new Israeli prime minister and Hernandez was Bennett's first face-to-face meeting with a foreign leader since he took office last week.
Follow breaking news like this and more in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details