Millions around the world are still waiting to get a life-saving vaccine—and it's not the COVID-19 shot. Human trials of a new malaria vaccine are underway, with promising initial results, according to a new report by humanitarian agency GFA World that coincides with World Malaria Day, April 25, an annual event.
The quest to develop an effective malaria vaccine—a shot that could save millions of lives—has proved difficult and is still ongoing.
"Malaria is one of the most rampant child-killers in the world today," said K.P. Yohannan, founder of Texas-based GFA World, formerly Gospel for Asia. "For countless millions across Africa, Asia and other parts of the world, an effective vaccine against malaria would be like a dream."
COVID 'Stalls Malaria Fight'
But with the world laser-focused on the global COVID-19 pandemic, efforts to wipe out malaria have stalled, the report says.
Lockdowns and other restrictions have essentially halted malaria-fighting efforts in dozens of countries, leading to fears of a sharp increase in malaria deaths in 2021—likely a death toll of hundreds of thousands in sub-Saharan Africa.
Malaria—an often-fatal sickness spread by infected mosquitoes—claims nearly half a million lives around the world every year, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa, and is "humanity's most deadly infectious disease," according to GFA World's report.
The vaccine—a possible breakthrough in the hunt for an effective malaria shot—has triggered a "strong immune response" in volunteers during trials so far, producing "only minor side effects," the report says.
Until an effective vaccine comes out, the main weapon in the fight against malaria is the insecticide-treated mosquito net.
Recent studies suggest insecticide-treated nets may no longer be as effective in some parts of the world where a new breed of "super mosquito" has built up resistance.
But they're still "critical" to curbing the spread of malaria globally, says GFA World.
'Such a Kind of Love'
"Over the past decade, we've distributed more than 1.3 million nets—costing just $10 each—across Asia, and they've proved to be lifesavers," said Yohannan, whose faith-based organization also stages free medical camps. "It's one way of being the hands and feet of Christ—and showing God's love—to those who suffer the most in our world."
Father-of-three Baharupa couldn't believe it when GFA World gave away mosquito nets in his malaria-prone village. "Who [would] give us mosquito nets without [asking for] money?" he said. "I've never seen such a kind of love."
This article originally appeared at gfa.org.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details