The fallout from COVID-19 lockdowns is severe. Millions have been forced into extreme poverty. Suicide and domestic abuse rates hit record-setting highs across the globe.
And yet, hope remains.
Galen* with Global Disciples, says, "We've seen it in many places where the lockdown allowed people to focus on their neighborhoods and provide a powerful witness of hope, and the kind of joy that has [transformed] many of their lives."
One believer in Ethiopia used Global Disciples' training resources to disciple five women from a Muslim background. More about Global Disciples' approach here.
"While it's not traditional in Islam for women to provide leadership, these women were willing to step forward," Galen says.
"They started small house fellowships and within three months, those small house fellowships had multiplied into hundreds. Now, they are a significant network of house churches all across the region."
In South Asia, lockdowns gave believers opportunities to share the hope and joy that comes only from Christ. Global Disciples partners with a large Christian church in a metropolitan area. "When the [COVID-19] restrictions came, they decided to multiply their church into 97 small house fellowships and committed to meet twice a week," Galen says.
"The neighbors, most of them Hindus, would hear them singing and praising God and they couldn't understand it. They said, 'Don't you realize what's going on with this pandemic? How can you be joyful?'"
Believers told their neighbors about Christ, the source of their hope and joy. Then, the Christians invited their Hindu neighbors to join their meetings.
"When the restrictions lifted, many of these house churches had at least one Hindu family who had come to faith in Christ, and were now worshiping in this home fellowship. They started a couple of new fellowships of about 50 new believers where God had moved in a very significant way," Galen says.
"In these few months of being locked down, their church had grown more rapidly than any time in the last several years."
You can hear more powerful stories like this when you join Global Disciples' upcoming virtual event.
"Join us on April 20 and 25 where we will be talking about how many of these people – who are unreached with the gospel – are within reach of those who know Christ," Galen says.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details