Former California megachurch pastor and bestselling author Francis Chan—who has moved to Asia to serve the poor—has revealed how his view of "true" faith was turned upside down by Gospel for Asia (GFA) founder and mission pioneer Dr. K.P. Yohannan.
Chan said his dramatic shift from well-known pastor in affluent Southern California to "anonymous" ministry in the slums of Hong Kong was inspired by Yohannan's modest lifestyle and humble faith, which is described in Yohannan's new book, Never Give Up: The Story of a Broken Man Impacting A Generation.
"I've learned more about a true walk with Jesus and what leadership should look like from [Yohannan's] life," said 53-year-old Chan in a recent video conversation with the 70-year-old missionary statesman whom Chan referred to as his mentor. "My life has been totally shaped by [him]."
Chan—founder of Cornerstone Community Church in California's Simi Valley and author of Crazy Love—said Yohannan's "passion for getting the gospel to the ends of the earth" challenged him to live a life serving the poor and marginalized without fanfare. He's currently living in one of Hong Kong's poorest neighborhoods.
Chan said he was "very excited" about the release of Never Give Up—one of the latest books by Yohannan, president of GFA and author of Revolution in World Missions, with more than 4 million copies in print.
"A lot of people are wrestling right now ... a lot of people have questions," Chan said. "It always comes back to Christ being central. ... People are not enjoying Jesus as much as they could be."
Left Broken, in 'Spiritual Agony'
Yohannan penned his new books after a soul-searching four-year battle that he says left him broken and in "spiritual agony." God took him on a journey through pain and persecution to refine his character and draw him closer to Christ, Yohannan says in the video.
"[God] asked me: 'Are you willing to die to your reputation?'" Yohannan said.
The mission leader issued a fresh challenge to the church to transform the world with the love of God.
"[God] is looking for a mighty minority that knows Him to turn the world upside down," he said.
GFA and its worldwide affiliates have—for almost 40 years—provided humanitarian assistance and spiritual hope to millions across Asia, especially among those who have yet to hear the good news.
This article originally appeared on Assist News Service.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer