In the Chinese government's continuing persecution of Christians, poor families are now being told to renounce their faith or lose welfare benefits.
Bitter Winter reports that the Chinese economy has been deeply affected by the coronavirus pandemic, especially low-income households struggling to make ends-meet.
Now government officials are ordering Christians who receive welfare payments to replace crosses, religious symbols and images inside their homes with portraits of China's communist leaders.
"All impoverished households in the town were told to display Mao Zedong images," a local pastor told Bitter Winter. "The government is trying to eliminate our belief and wants to become God instead of Jesus."
A church member in one of the villages recalled how authorities entered his home and destroyed a calendar with an image of Jesus on it, then replaced it with a portrait of Mao instead.
"Impoverished religious households can't receive money from the state for nothing—they must obey the Communist Party for the money they receive," he explained.
The enforcement of the new regulation started several months ago across China.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.