Children are enticed into underage drinking by alcohol advertisements on television and social media, research suggests.
A U.S. study in the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs found that children were often exposed to alcohol advertisements on apps and during television programs.
Evidence showed that for each additional hour of television viewed by children per day, the risk of starting to drink increased by 9%. For films the figure was even higher, at 15%.
Authors Michael Weitzman and Lily Lee drew comparisons to teenage smoking, where tobacco ads were regulated in the U.S. when it was concluded they caused children to smoke.
Weitzman said: "Advertising changes teens' attitudes about alcohol and can cause them to start drinking. Just as tobacco advertising causes teen smoking, exposure to alcohol ads causes teens to drink.
"The young are particularly vulnerable due to their potential for forming brand loyalties, limited scepticism and high use of social media—where alcohol marketing is increasingly found."
The researchers called for alcohol ads on television and social media to be regulated in a similar way to tobacco.
Previous U.K. research found that almost half of all alcohol ads appeared in peak viewing time on the most popular television channels and before the watershed.
NHS Digital figures suggest that 10% of eleven to 16-year-olds in England have consumed alcohol in the past week, and nearly a quarter of 15-year-olds said they had recently been drunk.
The Scottish Government is currently considering banning alcohol ads on television before the 9 p.m. watershed.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer