In what is a first for a sitting U.S. president, Mr. Trump spoke on the issue of religious freedom at the U.N. (Monday, Sept. 23) where he issued a global call to protect religious freedom.
"Today with one clear voice the United States calls on all nations of the world to end religious persecution," Mr. Trump said.
Mr. Trump said it was an "urgent moral duty" for world leaders to stop crimes against faith, release prisoners of conscience and repeal laws restricting religious liberty.
"Approximately 80% of the world's population live in countries where religious liberty is threatened, restricted or even banned," Mr. Trump said.
Time magazine reported that Mr. Trump's speech Monday extends a long-running focus on international religious freedom that speaks to a key priority of his evangelical base. His administration has hosted annual meetings on the topic in Washington, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced during this year's event that he would create an international alliance dedicated to the issue.
Time also quoted Dallas-based pastor Robert Jeffress who praised Mr. Trump for focusing on religious freedom instead of climate change. "What president in history would have the guts to do what President Trump is doing?"
The president also announced that his administration would dedicate an additional $25 million to protecting religious sites and places of worship and launched a new coalition of business leaders to promote religious freedom.
Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) International Director of Global Religious Freedom Kelsey Zorzi, president of the United Nations' NGO Committee on Freedom of Religion or Belief, said: "Religious freedom is a fundamental right that all countries are called to protect. The president's speech is an important and historic moment precisely because religious freedom is too often ignored or downplayed at the U.N.
"At a time when persecution is on the rise, and over 80% of the world's population lives in countries with high restrictions on religious freedom, every country should make securing religious freedom a high priority."
ADF is a faith-based legal advocacy organization that protects fundamental freedoms and promotes the inherent dignity of all people.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details