A man forced to live in an Australian drug-taking cult until he was 15 says Jesus Christ healed the damage he suffered.
Ben Shenton was handed over to cult leader Anne Hamilton-Byrne at just 18 months old. In the years that followed, he and other children were abused and indoctrinated.
But now, more than 30 years after police freed him from the cult, he says knowing Jesus has given him lasting transformation.
The Family—as the cult was called—believed Hamilton-Byrne was a reincarnation of Jesus Christ and would help to re-educate people after an apocalyptic event.
At one point, 28 children lived together and were forced into a strict routine that focused on meditation and yoga.
"Aunties"—who included Shenton's biological mother—physically and emotionally abused the children.
Adults and some teenagers were forced to take LSD, while children were mandated to take sedatives.
Shenton told the BBC's World Service that his life changed in 1987, at age 15, when police arrived to rescue him.
"I think for the first time in my life, I realized I was free," he said.
But because he had been hidden away for so many years, he struggled to integrate into society and spiraled downward into having suicidal thoughts.
However, joining a church turned his life around, and in the subsequent years, he came to realize who the real Jesus Christ is.
Writing on his personal website, Shenton said that the recent death of Hamilton-Byrne showed the contrast between her and the Messiah.
"He died but then rose again and appeared to over 500 witnesses," he wrote, adding: "What Anne peddled was a twisted version of this that removed Jesus Christ out and put her there instead."
"After nearly 30 years of serving the real Jesus Christ; the damage done by a counterfeit Jesus Christ, Anne Hamilton-Byrne, has been fully restored and I'm in a far better place than what I could of ever thought or imagined.
"The real Jesus Christ promises this to all that would allow Him to be their saviour and Lord!"
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details