You may have heard about the Nobel Peace Prize being awarded last week, but since the names weren't famous, you might not have realized that one of the recipients has a remarkable testimony of faith.
His name is Denis Mukwege. His nickname: "Dr. Miracle."
Mukwege is a Christian doctor in the war-torn Democratic Republic of Congo who has devoted his life to "end the use of sexual violence as a weapon on war," according to the Nobel committee.
Christianity Today reports he's a gynecologist who has treated tens of thousands of women in the past two decades. Many of those patients are the victims of gang rape by militants.
"The importance of Dr. Mukwege's enduring, dedicated and selfless efforts in this field cannot be overstated. He has repeatedly condemned impunity for mass rape and criticized the Congolese government and other countries for not doing enough to stop the use of sexual violence against women as a strategy and weapon of war," the Nobel committee said Friday.
Mukwege is the son of a Pentecostal minister who found his calling to medicine after helping his father pray for the sick.
In a recent interview with NPR, the 63-year-old physician explained that his faith greatly influenced his holistic approach to caring for his patients.
"What I'm doing really is not only to treat women—their body—(but) also to fight for their own right, to bring them to be autonomous, and, of course, to support them psychologically," said Mukwege.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
It's a NEW YEAR! Get ready for a NEW YOU!
- New Year Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- Go Deeper with God in a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Anointed Woman Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Never Stop Praying - Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- New Year - New You - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Subscription Special: Subscribe to Charisma for two years for Only $29.97 and get two free gifts. Gift #1 The Harbinger. Gift #2 The Harbinger II. Both books are by New York Times Best-Selling author Jonathan Cahn. View Offer