A young Christian boy from a small village in Egypt's Minya region, who saw his father killed by Islamic militants, dreams of becoming a police officer so he can prevent similar attacks.
They were following a bus full of pilgrims that was attacked first. All the Coptic men who would not accept Islam were shot. Then the gunmen heard Ayad's pick-up truck approach.
Marco recalls how the attackers shot the men in the head, while shouting "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is the greatest).
"After killing my father and all the workers, one of the terrorists wanted to kill us but another one of them said to him: 'Leave them alive to tell people what we did'," he told World Watch Monitor last year. Their father died in Marco's arms.
Shortly after the incident, Mina was interviewed by Reuters, recounting the horror of the experience.
Now, only in big pictures in the house is their father still with the boys and their two sisters, though the street where they live has also been named after him: Ayed Habib Tawadros Street.
Earlier this year, their mother, Hanaa, expressed concerned about the boys, Mina in particular, but now she says he is "doing better".
The brothers play a lot of football and the exercise helps them process what happened, she says.
However, in the absence of their father, she says they now feel very responsible. During his school holidays, Marco has continued his father's work, making church bells, but Mina no longer joins him. "They always want to make sure that at least one man is in the house with me and their sisters," Hanaa explained.
The emotional impact of what they went through has affected the boys' lives in other ways too. In school, they struggle to focus and have started to lag behind. But their mother says that, 15 months on, they have at least begun to dream again. Marco wants to become an engineer, while Mina says he hopes to become a police officer so "I can protect the Christians, and prevent attacks like what happened to my father".
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details