Imprisoned Huoshi Church Pastor Yang Hua returned to his home in Guizhou province this week after suffering mistreatment during his two-and-a-half year jail term for a falsified charge.
According to his wife, Wang Hongwu, Yang broke out into loud worship songs after his release. She said, "Even though my husband experienced misfortune, his belief remains resolute."
Yang was first imprisoned on Dec. 9, 2015, after trying to prevent authorities raiding Huoshi Church from confiscating a hard drive. The next day, officials handed him two consecutive, five-day administrative detention sentences for "the crime of obstructing justice" and "gathering a crowd to disturb public order." When Wang came to pick him up after his sentence ended, however, she saw him wearing a black hood and boarding an unlicensed vehicle. Upon inquiry, she learned that the government changed his charge to "illegally possessing state secrets," and that he was being transferred into criminal detention. On Jan. 22, 2016, his charge changed again, this time to "divulging state secrets."
During the time leading up to his trial, he was repeatedly tortured by his prosecutors in order to obtain a confession, according to an interview documented by his lawyers. The attorneys subsequently asked for the prosecutors' removal from the case, but the court permitted them to remain on. Authorities found Yang guilty and sentenced him to two-and-a-half years in prison on Jan. 5, 2017.
However, it is likely the authorities rigged the trial, since, according to a confidential document leaked by two Huoshi Church attendees, the court in question is under the command of a government body specifically designed to target Huoshi Church.
While in prison, Yang contracted vasculitis and had to be hospitalized after inadequate prison medical care rendered him unable to walk. He was temporarily transferred to another detention center and allowed to recuperate. He also contracted diabetes.
ChinaAid exposes abuses, such as those suffered by Yang, in order to stand in solidarity with the persecuted and promote religious freedom, human rights and rule of law.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details