The wife of an Iranian pastor sentenced to 10 years in jail has been given a five-year sentence of her own.
Shamiram Isavi Khabizeh, the wife of Victor Bet-Tamraz, was convicted of "acting against national security and against the regime by organizing small groups, attending a seminary abroad and training church leaders and pastors to act as spies," according to Christian advocacy group Middle East Concern, as reported by World Watch Monitor (worldwatchmonitor.org) .
She will appeal against the sentence, which was given at a Revolutionary Court in Tehran, the Iranian capital, on Jan. 6.
Khabizeh was first detained in June last year, then released on bail after paying the equivalent of $30,000 USD.
Her husband, who was sentenced in July last year for "acting against national security by organizing and conducting house-churches," is currently awaiting the result of his own appeal.
The couple's son, Ramil, is also facing charges—of "acting against national security" and "organizing and creating house churches," as well as charges relating to his father's ministry.
Last year, over a dozen Iranian Christians—most of them converts to Christianity—were given prison sentences of between 10 and 15 years for "acting against national security."
Afshar-Naderi was released on bail last year after writing an open letter to the authorities, asking what he had done to "make you hate me this much" and declaring that he had decided to "terminate my life slowly" through a hunger strike.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details