Join us on our podcast each weekday for an interesting story, well told, from Charisma News. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
Nearly 19 years to the date, Cindy Jacobs' prophetic word over the nation of Zimbabwe appears to be manifesting.
"The river is going to flow through Zimbabwe and I see a powerful torrent of water, a mighty rushing torrent, many fish," Jacobs said of the African nation in October 1998.
I see that there are strongholds in the church, of division and the accuser of the brethren is active to discourage souls. An army of women with the Deborah anointing will march across the land. They will be like a net all over Zimbabwe with prayer. With a powerful anointing, the women first and the men following. I see ancient thrones coming down, reconciliation between black and white, the spirit of racism which goes back further down the tribes. I will use Zimbabwe like a jewel, she will help feed the world with beautiful produce. God will break the curse that came through civil war—the curse will be broken. (I know nothing about Zimbabwe.) The land will produce beautiful beef. New factories will be built. Zimbabwe has the ministry of reconciliation that will unite the African people. The anointing of reconciliation will be all over Zimbabwe. Do not be afraid of the change, although it looks like you are going backwards. I have a plan for you. Satan thinks he is advancing, but I will expose wickedness at high levels. Do not be afraid. Satan will try to bring war; this army will be used to stop war and bloodshed. A treaty will be written with other nations. Zimbabwe will be like Switzerland to bring the healing of nations—to break ancient things. Your nation came through trickery but God will restore it. You will be given a piece of land—a beautiful place to pray. You will build a place to watch and pray. It will be like a compound with a place to sleep. The Annas will give their lives for intercession. Senior citizens will have places to stay and give their time to pray day and night.
The chaos that began in 2000 is slowly righting course, much to the delight and answered prayers of Spirit-filled believers in the area.
"There is a profound shift in the spirit realm. We have lived under fear and oppression for so many years," says Susan Marland, who pastors a Vineyard church about 100 kilometers south of the capital city.
"The thief has been invoked and given free reign in our nation, through the greed and avarice of those in power. Most of those in high office have regularly visited the n'angas (traditional witch doctors/shamans), in order to gain and hold onto their power, status and wealth. They have intentionally unleashed curse on our nation for personal gain. President Mugabe's domination of Zimbabwe has been one of fear and threat and destruction," Marland says.
On Nov. 19, Zimbabweans took to the streets to protest and pray, raising their hands to the Lord as they cried out for intervention in their nation. Marland believes there was a shift when this happened.
"The white, the black, the Indian—on that day we did not ask about race, political party, religion or denomination; rather, we celebrated that we are Zimbabwean! It is a long time since any of us could have much pride in our nation, but right now there is hope where we have known hopelessness; peace where we have for so long been threatened with war and punishment; a willingness to speak the truth where we have been gagged and a genuine desire to interact across racial lines, where the Mugabe regime has done its best to foster mistrust and hate," Marland says.
"I believe that God is saying to every person in this nation, whether Emmerson Mnangagwa, who [was] sworn in as president or the pastor or the judge, or the teacher or the street kid, 'Choose this day whom you will serve. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' There are millions in Zimbabwe, including Mnangagwa, who call themselves Christians. I believe that God is challenging us to live and serve as such in this nation," Marland says.
Marland specifically asks for prayer for the following:
- Pray that Christians will live in such a way that we demonstrate a righteous example which will influence the change in this nation.
- The coup (or non-coup) has come when our economy has totally imploded. Pray that in the aftermath of our euphoria that people do not become bitter and disillusioned because change is slow in coming.
- Pray that investment will come speedily, not to take more from a desperate country, but genuinely to help us rebuild and prosper once again.
- Pray that commerce and industry will be re-established quickly.
- Pray that jobs will become available and that the newly employed will be diligent and rejoice in being able to earn and support their families.
- Pray that the spirit of jealousy is bound and expelled.
- Pray that the rampant corruption is repented of and weeded out of our nation.
- Pray that the vast natural resources in this nation are used to benefit Zimbabwe and not greedy individuals or self-serving international investors at our expense.
- Pray that the farms become properly productive once more, in order that we might feed our own people and have surplus for export.
Jessilyn Justice @jessilynjustice is the director of online news for Charisma.