An Australian school district took a major stride to ban Christian activity and the name of Jesus in any form.
The Australian reports Queensland education officials are cracking down on "junior evangelists" through an unofficial school policy. Officials reportedly claim any student telling another about Jesus, or even sharing a Christmas card, could violate the other child's "GodSpace."
"While not explicitly prohibited by the (legislation), nor referenced in the Religious Instruction (RI) policy, the department expects schools to take appropriate action if aware that students participating in RI are evangelizing to students who do not," says the department's report into the GodSpace religious instruction materials, according to The Australian. "This could adversely affect the school's ability to provide a safe, supportive and inclusive environment."
A statement from Education Queensland when the report into GodSpace was released earlier this year said: "Queensland state schools embrace a multitude of cultural, religious and non-religious beliefs and encourage students to grow and develop as a whole person, in particular, in beliefs, values and attitudes. State schools respect the background and beliefs of all students and staff by not promoting, or being perceived as promoting, any particular set of beliefs in preference to another."
The move enraged local politicians who saw the policy as a chance to crackdown on faith.
"This country has long held a set of Christian values which should not be undermined by bureaucratic nonsense such as this," One Nation MP Steve Dickson says.
He's not the only one.
"I don't think people are on the whole affronted by the handing out of Christmas cards," Center for Independent Studies senior research fellow Peter Kurti says. "And I don't think that children have the maturity to comprehend let alone evangelize."
Fairfax MP Ted O'Brien joined the opposition to the RI guidelines, as well.
"The notion of trying to take pictures of Jesus out of Christmas cards is ludicrous," O'Brien says. "What do they think Christmas stands for? Are they going to try and take Christ out of the word Christmas next? I don't think Australians should cop such political correctness. I think it's ridiculous."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details