Prominent figures in the Church of England (CofE) have warned of a growing schism between members who affirm the Bible and those who have "capitulated to secular values".
In a letter to The Daily Telegraph this week, more than 20 Anglicans, including Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali and former Queen's Chaplain Gavin Ashenden, argue that there are "now effectively two opposed expressions of Anglicanism in this country".
The signatories say that recent events at the General Synod, the CofE's governing body, have caused many Anglicans "great concern".
Earlier this year, the General Synod held discussions on a controversial report concerning sexuality that backed traditional marriage but also called for "maximum freedom" for homosexual people.
This month, the Synod supported a call for the House of Bishops to consider endorsing "gender transition."
In their letter this week, the signatories say that the CofE has formed into two camps, with one side "capitulating to secular values," and the other continuing to "hold to the faith."
They state: "We and others stand with the majority of faithful Anglicans across the globe, in prioritizing Scripture and the unanimous teaching of the universal church over secular fashion."
Referring to the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA), which emerged from the Episcopal Church over increasingly liberal teaching in 2009, they conclude:
"We note the results of this same conflict in North America, even as we look for and pray for a similar renewal of orthodox Anglicanism and of Anglican structures in these islands."
In February this year, the General Synod voted against a report on marriage and homosexuality.
Critics said the House of Bishops' report was very confusing because although it left the definition of marriage intact, it also backed a greater role for practicing homosexuals in the church.
Evangelical CofE minister Melvin Tinker, one of the signatories to this week's letter, described it as 'looking both ways' on sexuality.
He said it gave the impression of "business as usual" while also moving in a revisionist direction.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details