A British judge deciding whether a critically-ill baby should be given experimental treatment in the United States said on Thursday he would reverse a ruling that the child's life support should be turned off if new evidence justified doing so.
The parents of 11-month-old Charlie Gard have been fighting a legal battle to send their son for the experimental therapy, but Britain's courts have refused permission on the grounds it would prolong his suffering without any realistic prospect of it helping.
Charlie suffers from a form of mitochondrial disease, a rare genetic condition causing progressive muscle weakness and brain damage.
Last week, London's world-renowned Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, where Charlie is being treated, asked for a new hearing in light of international offers of treatment after U.S. President Donald Trump and the pope brought the case to worldwide attention.
"If there is important new evidence that suggests my decision should be changed then I will change it," judge Nicholas Francis told the hearing at London's High Court.
In a statement issued before the hearing, Connie Yates and Chris Gard said they loved their son "more than life itself." "If he's still fighting, we're still fighting," they said.
However, the couple later stormed angrily out of the hearing after the judge said they had agreed that Charlie's life without any medical improvement was not worth sustaining.
"We have said he's not suffering, he's not in pain," Yates said.
Francis initially ruled against the parents in April, and his decision was supported by Britain's Court of Appeal and Supreme Court. The European Court of Human Rights also upheld the ruling that a trip to the United States would cause unnecessary suffering.
Lawyers for the parents need to persuade the judge that new evidence has come to light that means he should review his original verdict.
"What I can't do ... is reopen issues that already have been dealt with, not only be me, but by the Court of Appeal," he said.
He told the court he would not give his final decision on Thursday, but said it was important it was given as soon as possible.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details