A bishop forced to pay protection money to use his own cathedral is the latest example of why, for the 8th year running, Mexico is considered the most dangerous country in which to be a Catholic priest.
The Catholic Media Center's latest annual report says at least 15 priests have been murdered in the past three years alone, while there have been a total of 61 recorded attacks on Catholic priests in the past 26 years. Drug cartels are blamed.
In March, World Watch Monitor reported that cartels charging church leaders "taxes" is now "very common." Dagoberto Sosa Arriaga, bishop of Tlapa in southern Mexico's Guerrero state, is the latest example—forced to pay criminals to ensure the undisturbed use of his cathedral, as Milenio reported on 28 May. Meanwhile, another Guerrero bishop, Maximino Martínez Miranda from Ciudad Altamirano, was recently stopped by an armed group who commandeered his vehicle.
As World Watch Monitor reported in April, the violence affects everyone, but actively practicing Christians are particularly vulnerable.
To address the threat to Catholic leaders in the western state of Jalisco, Bishop Salvador Rangel Mendoza has initiated a round of peace talks with leaders from the criminal world.
But another priest, Alejandro Solandine, who accused the government of having links with organised crime bosses, received death threats.
"So far this year in Mexico, the number of murders and kidnappings of Christians seems to be increasing," said Rossana Ramirez, an analyst at the World Watch Research unit of the Christian charity Open Doors.
"There is serious ongoing persecution through organized corruption and crime. This not only affects priests, but also Christians in general; in some states, the fear of being murdered, abducted or otherwise persecuted has caused many Christians to leave. It seems that the Mexican government minimizes this problem and is currently unwilling to take effective measures."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details