A bill to aid victims of Islamic State genocide in Syria and Iraq has passed the U.S. House of Representatives and now goes to the U.S. Senate.
The bill, known as HR (House Resolution) 390 or "The Iraq and Syria Emergency Genocide Relief and Accountability Act," passed the U.S. House of Representatives on the evening of June 6th by unanimous consent.
Authored by Rep. Chris Smith, N.J.-04, chairman of the House panel on global human rights, and co-authored by Rep. Anna Eshoo, Ca.-18, the bill provides much needed humanitarian assistance to groups targeted by Islamic State for genocide, as designated by former Secretary of State John Kerry. In addition, the bill also provides resources for organizations compiling evidence for future use against the perpetrators of these crimes in legal proceedings.
The bill now heads to the Senate where it awaits approval before being sent to the president's desk. Many, including International Christian Concern (www.persecution.org), a Washington D.C.-based human rights organization that exists to help persecuted Christians worldwide, are hopeful that HR 390 will see final approval soon, as the need to assist these communities is vital before they are lost to the region.
Rep. Smith stated of the legislation, "President Trump and Vice President Pence have strongly, publicly committed the administration to providing relief to Christians, Yazidis and other genocide survivors, and ensuring perpetrators are brought to justice. HR 390 will help ensure that officials implement these commitments and is a blueprint for implementation."
Joining the 47 cosponsors in the House in support of the bill are a number of diverse civil society groups, as well as all former U.S. ambassadors-at-large for war crimes and international Christian concern.
Nate Lance, ICC's advocacy manager, said of the bill, "International Christian Concern is very pleased that HR 390 has passed this critical step in the legislative process.
"We are hopeful that this bill will be approved by the Senate and the president as soon as possible so that Christians, Yazidis and others in Iraq and Syria who have suffered because of ISIS' terror can receive much-needed aid. The future of these religious minorities is crucial to the religious diversity of the Middle East, as well as the future security and stability of the region and world.
"I wish to thank Representatives Smith and Eshoo, along with the other cosponsors and supporters of the bill who have made its passage in the House possible."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details