Sudan is on President Donald Trump's visa ban list because its government has perpetually allowed jihadis to base training camps in the country. But another reason for concern is Khartoum's brutal treatment of Christians.
The most recent example of Khartoum's extreme targeting of Christians came Monday when a Sudanese court sentenced Czech missionary Petr Jasek to 20 years in prison. A kangaroo court found Mr. Jasek guilty of "entering the country without a visa ... spying ... taking pictures of military installations ... inciting hatred ... and publishing fake news," said Jasek's lawyer.
The Czech foreign ministry says the court's decision was not backed by facts.
Jasek was arrested and jailed in December 2015 for crossing "illegally" from South Sudan into Sudan's South Kordofan state.
South Kordofan is home to Sudan's Nuba Mountain and its people—Christians and Muslims alike have suffered for many years at the hands of President Omar al-Bashir and his military.
I too have visited the Nuba Mountains on several occasions and have documented the bombings and human rights atrocities committed against the people there.
Jasek visited the Nubas to share the love of Christ with them. The U.K.-based Release International, an organization that helps persecuted Christians said Jasek was jailed with three other Christians because they were helping to provide medical assistance to a student from Darfur who was burned during a rally.
To learn more about what is happening in the Nubas, take a look at this story I did back in 2014.
I know Jasek, and I've spent time with him in South Sudan. He is a kind, compassionate man who loves Jesus and feels called to help Christians, Muslims and others who are suffering.
The Czech government is trying to negotiate Jasek's release. Appeals of his case and those of fellow Christians Hassan Abdel Rahim (14 years) and Abdelmoneim Abdulmulli (13 years) are expected.
Please pray for these three men and their families. Pray that God will visit them and bring them encouragement. Pray they will be reassured that He will never leave nor forsake them (Josh. 1:5).
And pray they'll soon be reunited with their families.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details