A magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck off the Solomon Islands early on Friday, triggering a tsunami warning across a wide area of the South Pacific.
The quake struck at 4:38 a.m. (12.38 p.m. ET Thursday) at a depth of 40 km (25 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said. It was initially reported to be of magnitude 8.0.
There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
"Hazardous tsunami waves from this earthquake are possible within the next three hours along some coasts of Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Papua New Guinea, Nauru, New Caledonia, Tuvalu and Kosrae," the U.S.-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center (PTWC) said.
But PTWC canceled an initial tsunami watch alert for Hawaii. "Based on all available data, there is no tsunami threat to the state of Hawaii," the PTWC said.
Australian authorities also said there was no risk to its coastlines, while the New Zealand Civil Defense office said it was evaluating the threat.
Calls to emergency services officials in the Solomons and Vanuatu rang out.
© 2016 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.