National Religious Broadcasters today urged Congress to act immediately to protect internet freedom "while there's still time."
NRB President and CEO Dr. Jerry A. Johnson is calling for action as Congress is in the midst of negotiations to avert a government shutdown.
"In this digital era, internet freedom is indispensable as a means of protecting freedom of speech. This truth is proven by the track record of nations that don't uphold free speech restricting internet freedom," said Johnson.
The Obama administration has decided to transfer authority—effective Oct. 1—over the internet's basic domain name structure to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), even though there are concerns that this action creates new powers for governments—powers that could be misused by some state actors.
Reports indicate that a provision to forbid the government's transfer of internet authority has so far been left out of the Continuing Resolution to fund the government.
"Congressional inaction in the face of the imminent loss of oversight of the internet by the United States is a grave dereliction of duty," Johnson said. "There are still far too many questions and serious concerns about this transition. I urge congressional leaders to act now to protect internet freedom while there's still time."
Previously, NRB has announced support for the Protecting Internet Freedom Act, sponsored by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.), which would prohibit the Executive Branch from allowing its oversight over basic internet domain functions, including the authoritative root zone file, to lapse or be relinquished unless specifically authorized to do so by an Act of Congress. It also will require certification that the U.S. has exclusive ownership and control over the vital .gov and .mil domains.
In February, the NRB Board of Directors, a body of approximately one hundred key leaders among Christian communicators, unanimously approved a resolution calling on the U.S. to ensure internet freedom globally. They noted that repressive regimes seek to curtail freedom online and specifically highlighted concern with the Obama Administration's intention to transfer America's supervisory authority over web domain names and addresses.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details