A group of bishops from the Anglican Church of Canada has warned that a church vote in favor of same-sex marriage is a "departure from the faith."
The warning came in a joint statement signed by seven bishops in response to this month's Canadian General Synod vote to allow same-sex marriages in churches.
The Anglican Church of Canada began a move towards same-sex weddings in 2013, voted in favor of them this month and will hold a final vote at the next General Synod.
The bishops state that same-sex marriage "would be a fundamental departure from the faith and teaching held by the majority of the Anglican Communion on the doctrine of marriage."
They also say the decision threatens the Church of Canada's status with other Anglicans globally.
The bishops noted, "the General Synod has taken a further step in ordaining something contrary to God's Word written and imperils our full communion within the Anglican Church of Canada and with Anglicans throughout the world."
"We believe that our General Synod has erred grievously and we publicly dissent from this decision," they continued.
The church process is still ongoing as the vote will need to be passed again at the next General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada.
This is due to take place in Vancouver in 2019.
In January this year, the U.S. Episcopal Church was suspended from the Anglican Communion for three years for "a fundamental departure from the faith" over marriage.
The Episcopal Church changed its church law in 2015 to remove reference to marriage as being between a man and a woman.
This article originally appeared on The Christian Institute.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details