Friends Laura Harper and Laura Billiet were walking into the Brussels airport when they heard an explosion—one of the two that rocked the Belgium capital early Tuesday.
Harper, who confirmed to Charisma News that she is a Christian, told AL.com that prayer was one of her first reactions.
"At first I was a complete coward, hiding under the desk," Harper told AL.com. "I thought maybe they have guns, maybe people are going to start shooting us. We were praying."
Had a friend not stopped for a snack on the way to the airport, the two would have been in the line of fire.
"If we had arrived one minute earlier, we would have been right inside, right where it happened," Harper said. "(The explosion happened) at the counter I was going to. I'm just so grateful."
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the devastating attacks, according to several reports. The death toll stands at at least 30.
Thousands took to Twitter to intercede for the city.
"So grateful that my graduate studying abroad in Belgium is safe. Very sad for those who are not. #prayingforbrussels" tweeted one person.
Another: "Praying #Brussels and for all those impacted my the bombing. Romans 5:20 #Brussels #prayingforbrussels"
Joyce Meyer posted her prayer to Facebook.
"This morning three explosions went off in Brussels, Belgium killing 34 people and wounding 170 more. Today, we stand in prayer with the people of Belgium knowing that God is our hope."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details