Rumors of the beginning of World War III have swirled for weeks, but with France retaliating against the Islamic State, could this be it?
French President Francois Hollande called the attacks on Paris an "act of war," before responding with bombs of their own against the Islamic State, which has claimed responsibility for the violence, according to multiple reports.
"It is an act of war that was committed by a terrorist army, a jihadist army, Daesh, against France," Hollande said, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State. "It is an act of war that was prepared, organized and planned from abroad, with complicity from the inside, which the investigation will help establish."
Some, like Pope Francis, are calling the attacks and rebuttal "piecemeal World War III," according to Catholic News Agency.
The violence is indeed the worst the French capital has seen since World War II, with 129 dead and hundreds of others injured.
And while there have been calls for prayer, people like Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Joann Sfar asks people to not #PrayForParis.
"Friends from the whole world, thank you for #prayforparis, but we don't need more religion," Sfar, said. "Our faith goes to music! Kisses! Life! Champagne and Joy! #Parissaboutlife."
The disinterest in faith, combined with the violence and natural disasters the world's experienced in recent weeks, are all part of Jesus' "beginning of sorrows" prophecies in Matthew 24:6-8:
"You will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled. For all these things must happen, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines, epidemics, and earthquakes in various places. All these things are the beginning of sorrows," Jesus said.
He continued: "Then they will hand you over to be persecuted and will kill you. And you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. Then many will fall away, and betray one another, and hate one another. And many false prophets will rise and will deceive many. Because iniquity will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come" (Matt. 24:9-14).
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.