As the world looked on in horror, the radical Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram posted a video recently purportedly showing the beheading of two men accused of being spies. The group has been blazing a swath of terror across northern Nigeria, resulting in the postponement of the nation's presidential election from Feb. 14 to March 28.
Now, with the rescheduled election fewer than three weeks away, security in the face of the terrorists has become a central point of the debate between candidates. Yet, as terror takes center stage in the political fight, The Tide global radio ministry is helping Nigerians keep Jesus as the center focus of their hearts.
"Tragically, terrorism is an all-too-present reality for Nigerians today," said The Tide Director Don Shenk. "But even as Boko Haram carries out unspeakable violence, demolishes villages and upsets national elections, the terror group does not have the power to shake the heart-peace that the gospel of Jesus Christ brings. The Tide ministry has been sharing the gospel in Nigeria since 2009, and we've seen its power not only to bring peace and transformation but even to rescue those who were themselves once committed to jihad."
Indeed, one Muslim listener heard The Tide ministry program in the Hausa language, the official language of Islam in Nigeria. Although a believer in jihad, he was challenged by the message of hope and peace that only Christ can offer. He responded to the gospel message, called the number at the end of the program and is now a follower of Christ.
"Just as Boko Haram is trying to keep people in bondage through terror, the terrorists themselves are in bondage to a belief system that demands that they kill and terrorize. Only the gospel message has the power to bring peace to those terrorized and to rescue the terrorists. As the presidential election approaches, we pray for peace and that God would continue to demonstrate His power in Nigeria, all for His glory."
The Tide ministry began broadcasting in Nigeria in 2009 in the Efik language, spoken by approximately 2 million Nigerian people. Today, The Tide radio programming can be heard in eleven languages in Nigeria: Efik, Hausa, Ijaw, Igbo, Annang, Yoruba, Tiv, Ibibio, Nupe, Amo and Agwagune.
The Tide ministry is unique in that its programs are produced on-site, using indigenous speakers who tell people about Jesus in the language they were born to speak. As one listener in Nigeria said, "Finally, a God who speaks my language!"
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details