A Christian nurse was suspended after praying for a Muslim colleague.
Muslim Enya Newaz has ongoing health problems, and Christian Victoria Wasteney says she offered prayer.
"She was very emotional and tearful and was talking to me about her fear of dying. I put my hand on her knee to comfort her—asking her if that was all right—and prayed with her, asking God to heal her," Wasteney tells Telegraph. "It was a natural and open thing for me to do, and she didn't object in anyway."
Wasteney also lent Newaz a copy of the book I Dared to Call Him Father, about a Muslim woman who converts to Christianity.
Now, Newaz accuses Wasteney of trying to convert her. The East London NHS Foundation Trust suspended Wasteney on full pay, saying she was bullying and harassing Newaz.
Wasteney tells the Telegraph Newaz's complaint alleges that unless Newaz converts, Wasteney said the sickness would remain. Newaz filed the complaint after she left her job. Wasteney says she believes Newaz was pressured into the complaint.
Wasteney, though, denies the conversion claims. "We discussed our beliefs but I certainly didn't tell her that my way was the only way," Wasteney tells the the DailyMail. "I don't even believe it's possible to force someone to convert."
The two had previously bonded over their passion to fight human trafficking, and Newaz was reportedly even considering attending a few of Wasteney's church events.
Wasteney is now legally challenging her suspension.
"Its ridiculous that people now feel they cannot openly discuss religion or their own spirituality," she tells Telegraph. "Do we want to reach the point where people are scared to invite colleagues and work friends to events like their children's christening or a wedding for fear of offending?"
Wasteney is being supported by the Christian Legal Centre.
"The way in which Victoria was treated highlights the extraordinary anxiety we now feel over causing any offence to Muslims," CLC CEO Andrea Williams tells Telegraph. "This creates a climate of fear and intimidation that keeps people from speaking about what they believe."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details