A pensioner has had his "opportunity to volunteer" withdrawn by the British Red Cross because he spoke out against the redefinition of marriage.
Earlier this year, Bryan Barkley, 71, held up signs outside Wakefield Cathedral reading "No Same Sex Marriage" and "No Redefinition of Marriage." He did so on the day that the first same-sex marriages took place in England.
But he has since been told that his views on marriage are "incompatible" with the "fundamental principles and values" of the Red Cross and that his opportunity to volunteer was being withdrawn "permanently and with immediate effect."
Barkley, who has volunteered with the Red Cross for nearly 20 years, worked in the international family tracing service, helping to locate and reunite families in the UK with relatives in Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and had been involved in 84 cases.
He joined the Red Cross after retiring from his job as a civil engineer. Earlier in the summer he attended a Buckingham Palace garden party with the charity.
'Freedom of Expression Being Stifled'
Responding to his dismissal, Barkley asked:
"What have I done wrong? I passionately believe that the institution of marriage is between a man and a woman and is the cornerstone of our society. Why is it wrong to say so in public?
"Freedom of expression is being stifled in this country.
"I have nothing against homosexuals. But I don't believe Parliament was representing the views of the people when it changed the definition of marriage."
Barkley, who is being supported by the Coalition for Marriage, is appealing the Red Cross' decision.
"Discrimination Against a Common Viewpoint'
Andrea Williams, Chief Executive of Christian Concern, which is a member of the Coalition for Marriage, commented:
"The Red Cross does not seem to be able to extend its founding principles of impartiality and neutrality to Bryan Barkley. It has discriminated against him for holding common views on the natural family. Such discrimination will not serve the Red Cross well."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details