More than 130 parents have signed a petition against "gender-neutral" toilets installed at an East Sussex primary school in southeast England in order to prevent "transphobia."
Parents have already complained about the distress experienced by their children as a result of the toilets.
The petition calls for the reinstatement of separate toilets for boys and girls in the interests of privacy.
Lauren Hamon, who started the petition, said that the toilets have been an added stress for her 5-year-old son: "These children are aged from 4 to 11, and boys and girls can be very silly at that age."
Hamon raised concerns that children are able to "look underneath and over the top of the cubicles.
"Girls go through different changes, and they may not want the males being in there," she continued. "It's the same for my son. He has been walked in on by two girls and came home quite upset."
Child psychologist Dr. Penelope Leach argued that unisex toilets are "standard" in society and that few families have separate facilities. However, she conceded that "a toilet block is a supreme place for teasing and bullying, and having both sexes in there adds to that risk."
Around 500 pupils, aged 3 to 11, returned to Harbour Primary School in Newhaven after the summer holidays to find that they have to share facilities with the opposite sex.
The school's headteacher, Christine Terrey, said the decision to change the toilets had been taken by the Council.
The move by East Sussex County Council, was met with angry responses from parents who were unaware of the plans.
Responding to parents' concerns, Terrey said: "We want all the children in our school to feel safe and be happy.
"We also want our families to feel informed about how to effectively support transgender and gender questioning by their children."
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details