Christians need to recognize that a "new secularism" is trying to undermine and destroy their faith, a Free Church minister in Scotland has said.
David Robertson, who is also the director of the Solas Centre for Public Christianity, warns about the difference between secularists who are "simply about the separation of church and state" and a "new secularism which is much more militant and dangerous."
Writing for the website Christian Today, Robertson explains, "The vast majority of the posts on secular message boards are anti-religious.
"The main purpose is to attack religion in general, Christianity in particular and in very particular the Catholic Church and evangelicals."
He says this attitude "quickly degenerates into personal abuse" if the comments are challenged.
The new secularism appears to come with "values," Robertson argues, such as being pro-abortion, pro-euthanasia and pro-homosexuality.
"Dare anyone in public life suggest, for example, that marriage should be between a man and a woman and they are automatically decried as a homophobic bigot—even (or perhaps especially) if they are homosexual and atheist," he says.
Robertson comments, "The New Secularists want the complete neuterization and privatization of religion. They want only their views and values to be taught and allowed in public life.
"We need to recognize the new secularism for what it is—an attempt to undermine and destroy Christianity.
"We need to stand against its fundamentalism, and we need to stand up for the poor, the young, the disabled and the marginalized (who most need the Good News) by proclaiming the gospel of Christ against the elitism and intolerance of our new fundamentalist atheists."
The last census of 2011 found that less than 78,000 people in the U.K. (or 0.14 percent of the population) identified themselves as secularist, atheist, humanists, agnostics or free thinkers.
Colin Hart, director of the Christian Institute, says of atheists, "This tiny group of people lays great claims to have their beliefs at the front and center of our national life."
"What the atheists lack in numbers, they certainly make up for in terms of their influence and boldness. They understand that their beliefs are a worldview which they are determined to impose on everyone else," he adds.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details