The archbishop of Canterbury recently spoke about the gifts of the Spirit, saying speaking in tongues is a “routine part of spiritual discipline.”
Charles Moore writes about an interview he conducted with Archbishop Justin Welby in a Telegraph article.
“Since he is an evangelical,” Moore writes, “I ask him whether he can speak ‘in tongues’—the ‘charismatic’ spiritual gift recorded in the New Testament. Oh yes, he says, almost as if he had been asked if he plays tennis, ‘It’s just a routine part of spiritual discipline—you choose to speak, and you speak a language that you don’t know. It just comes.’”
Welby also spoke of his conversion and said it was not necessary for a true Christian to have a personal conversion experience.
“There is an incredible range of ways in which the Spirit works,” Welby told Moore. “It doesn’t matter how you get there. It really does quite matter where you are.”
During his time in New Court at Trinity College, Welby said he was praying with a Christian friend on Oct. 12, 1975, when he suddenly felt “a clear sense of something changing, the presence of something that had not been there before in my life. I said to my friend, 'Please don’t tell anyone about this’, because I was desperately embarrassed that this had happened to me, like getting measles.”
The archbishop said that although he has experienced long periods with “no sense of any presence at all,” he has never gone back on his decision to follow Christ. This is not his doing, he says. “It’s grace. Grace is a reality; feelings are ephemeral.”
As an only child raised by an alcoholic father, Welby was an extremely lonely adolescent. But he says although it felt horrible at the time, “Now it feels hugely valuable. God doesn’t waste stuff.”
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details