Retired South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has apparently joined the ranks of gay rights supporters in the church. On Friday, he said he would rather go to hell before going to a heaven that “condemned homosexuality as a sin.”
“I would not worship a God who is homophobic, and that is how deep I feel about this,” Tutu said at a United Nations’ gay rights campaign function in Cape Town, South Africa. “I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. 'No,' I would say. 'Sorry. I mean, I would much rather go to the other place.'”
Tutu likened gay rights to the civil rights battle for blacks and apartheid.
“I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid,” Tutu said, as reported by Agence France-Presse. “For me, it is at the same level.”
Pope Francis also said this week that he would not judge gay priests that are sexually inactive, if he happened to learn about their sexual orientation.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Incredible Savings, Inspiration and Encouragement from CHARISMA:
- End Of The Year - Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
- Big Discounts On Book Bundles & Gifts: Click Here to view all our bundles and save up to 72%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, and more.
- FREE eCourses by CHARISMA: Click Here to view all eight of our free courses. Topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Women Of God: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Prayer Changes Everything! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.