At its 36th Bi-Annual National Conference held April 23-24, the Assemblies of God (AG) in Australia amended its Divorce, Marriage and Remarriage Policy to allow divorce on the grounds of proven domestic violence. An estimated 850 pastors and leaders representing some of the 1,130 AG churches across Australia voted on the new policy. Previously the AG in Australia allowed for divorce only on the grounds of adultery.
"This is an important and serious issue which affects many Australians," said pastor Alun Davies, national vice president of the AG. "As a movement we need to bring biblical perspectives on contemporary issues, and ensure we are continually providing help and support in difficult situations. We value and are committed to upholding the marriage covenant, and we consider divorce a last resort."
At the conference, the AG in Australia also introduced a Minister's Code of Conduct, which provides guidelines to churches and leaders on a range of moral and ethical issues. The new code allows AG pastors to consume alcohol. However it also urges extreme caution when drinking, and states that drunkenness and the use of illegal drugs is prohibited.The amended Divorce, Marriage and Remarriage Policy and the new Minister's Code of Conduct were the culmination of a comprehensive two-year consultation process, which received input from AG pastors around Australia. The conference marked the 70th year of the AG in Australia, the largest Pentecostal group in the nation.
To contact us or to submit an article, click here.
Get Charisma's best content delivered right to your inbox! Never miss a big news story again. Click here to subscribe to the Charisma News newsletter.
Five ways to deepen your relationship with God, increase your faith and save money!
- Deepen Your Relationship with God with a FREE eCourse: Click Here to view all of our free e-Courses. Favorite topics include Fear, Forgiveness, Holy Spirit, Supernatural, and How to Hear God.
- Super Discounts and Close-Out Specials: Click Here to view all our bundles and close-out specials and save up to 86%! Prayer, Holy Spirit, Anointing, the Supernatural and more.
- God Wants to Anoint Women Now: Rise up and enter the anointing of Deborah, Anna, Esther, Ruth and Hannah. You were called to go higher. Click Here to learn more.
- Change Your Atmosphere and Circumstances Through Prayer! John Eckhardt's prayer bundle gives you six powerful books to help you pray and change any situation. Click Here.
- HUGE Bible Sale!: Click Here to save up to 50% off a great selection of Bibles. Plus, get a free gift with each order!
Attention Pastors and Leaders: Leadership training and development are crucial for success. Enroll in a FREE 1-hour leadership mini-course by Dr. Mark Rutland. View Details